Friday, October 5, 2012

Welcome Fall Mini-Banner Tutorial

Today I'm going to show you the last little bit I added to the fall decor in my entryway. I found these super cute scarecrows in the $1 spot at Target and just knew immediately what I was going to do with them. So I brought them home, put them in a basket, and added some kraft paper raffia. They were cute, but I decided they really did need a little bit more and since they are on my entryway table I thought why not  a "Welcome Fall" banner? 

Cute right?!?! Well, today I'm going to show you how to make this quick miniature kraft banner. It's really a quick tutorial and you don't need any special supplies. If you can use a pair of scissors, a paint brush or marker, and a hot glue gun then you are all set!




Supplies: 
  • Kraft paper
  • Brown paint (can you tell I use this paint a lot)
  • Paint brush
  • Twine
  • Bamboo skewers
  • Other: pencil, scissors, hot glue gun
You will want to figure out how long your banner will need to be. I needed mine to fit between the Momma and Papa scarecrow & the two little scarecrows so the max length it could be was about 
8-1/2". 



First you are going to cut a rectangle 1 1/4" x 2" from the kraft cardstock.

Fold the rectangle in half to find the center. 

Unfold, then draw lines from one of the corners to the middle point. Then draw another line from the other corner to the middle point. You will end up with a triangle pennant shape. 

Cut along the lines to get your triangle. This will be your template.

Once you have your template trace the number of triangle you need on your kraft paper. For "Welcome Fall" I needed 11 triangles. 


Then grab some ink (any brand will work - I used a tea-dyed color) and ink around the edges. 


Write "Welcome Fall" with a pencil then paint over with a brown paint. Let dry.
If you don't feel comfortable with paint, you could certainly use a marker instead. 


This is where the rest of the tutorial had to go inside. I was getting cold and it was getting rainy.
Snow ended up coming later that night. Yeah, it was a bit chilly. brrr....

Anyhow, (sorry for the background) now you are ready to glue your pennant triangles to your twine.
You want to add just a little hot glue to the back side of the pennant. 


Because I had just enough room for "Welcome" I started by tying my twine to the skewers first, then hot glued the "W" and the last "E" first. Then I just worked my way from the outside in with "C" being the last letter I glued down. Make sense? Good.

And there it is all done. 


My cute little scarecrow family gladly Welcomes Fall! How about you, do you like fall?

And in case you missed it, you can find my Inviting Fall Entryway here. And the cute mason jar candy corn holder tutorial here. 




Linking up here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean so much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...