Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Tuesday Tutorial: Making Homemade Heating Pads

Today's guest blogger is Shari from Faithfilled Food For Moms. I met Shari through my BeanBugCrafts BlogFrog community. She is a Stay at Home Midlife Mom/Grandma. She has seven children, three are still at home, and three grandchildren! She uses her blog to share her experience, strength and hope with other moms and grandmothers. She is a follower of Jesus and offers devotions and daily scripture on her blog as well! Thank you Shari for helping guest blog today. I can't wait to make my Homemade Heating Pad!




Making Homemade Heating Pads
I realized the other day as I got into bed that my feet were so cold..and then I remembered..time to get out my homemade heating pad!  I use it ALL the time in the winter months.  But when I got it out I realized how shabby it was getting and..well.. a little dirty 


So it’s time to make another one.  As a matter of fact, since it’s almost Christmas,  I’m going to make several to give as gifts 
I’ll show you how easy it is to make these quality Heating Pads. 
Your browser may not support display of this image.
You can use any kind of Cotton based material you would like to make a Heating Pad.  I like to use a simple Place Mat.  It makes a nice size and it’s easy!   You can buy these at a dollar store or on sale any time of year.  Place Mats are made of heavy duty material and can withstand a lot of use. 


What you will need:
  • Any size Cotton Material
  • White rice/ not instant
  • Essential Oils, herbs, spices (Optional)
  • Sewing Machine
  • Funnel -Optional, but easier 
Your browser may not support display of this image.


If you are using essential oils, put only a few drops into a bowl of rice and stir.  Set aside.


Fold material in half and sew up the sides.  Sew a couple of seams down the middle to make a couple of chambers.  This is important, otherwise the rice all goes to one corner and is not evenly spaced out..like on down comforters.  That doesn’t feel so good when you want to lay on it. 


Now you are ready to fill with rice. 


After filling with rice, carefully sew the open end shut.  That’s it! 


Simply throw into microwave for 1 -2 minutes and you have a nice hot aromatic Heating Pad that lasts about 45 minutes.


You can also use these as ice packs.  Just toss into freezer and it’s ready to go anytime you need it.  (not good as an ice pack for food only for boo boos)


These make awesome gifts! 


One word of caution, many folks suggest making these for small children in different shapes and sizes.  While this sounds like a fun idea, children can be so easily burned with their sensitive skin.  I would not recommend using for small children.


You can also make covers for these to keep them nice and clean.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean so much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...